Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

More finished socks!

Hey everybody! Thanks for the encouraging comments in yesterday's post. It was bad. VERY VERY BAD, but things seem to be cooling down and working themselves out. Over the weekend I finished a pair of socks for my Nana.

Pattern: Adaptation of Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern from Nancy Bush's "Knitting Vintage Socks" I saw an adaptation for this pattern to larger yarn that Grumperina did and thought it looked really good at a larger gauge, so I gave it a try. I used 7 repeats around and sort of faked the rest. I also change the ribbing to k2p2 instead of k2p1 since the number of stitches I needed didn't divide evenly into 3's.
Yarn: Gjestal Superwash Sport I got from elann probably a year and a half ago. 100% superwash wool.
Needles: US Size 2 aluminum dpns.
Gauge: 7.5 spi
Verdict: They're good. I had a little trouble with the patterning because I didn't immediately realize that the patterning for the instep portion varies in stitch count based on what row you're on. So I thought I had messed it up and ripped back like... 4 times trying to figure out what went wrong. But the stitch count variation ended up being useful in the end. The stitch pattern makes for a VERY snug sock. It works for Nana since she has narrow feet, but if you're making this sock and have a wider foot, just make sure it will be comfortable before you finish them.


I also crochetted a special order bag that I forgot to take a pic of, but I started socks for me too.

These are the Leaf Socks from "Socks Socks Socks" I didn't realize it at first, but the leaf border around the top is knit separately and then attached. I'm going to try to figure out how to attach it as I go. Who wants a seam around the cuff of their socks!? The leaf panel is turning out very subtle. Kind of nice in such a brighly colored yarn. I was unsure if this would be a good pattern for the variegated yarn, but I really like it. You can see what it looks like on my leg here. I had to restart the left sock this morning since the directions are written so that there is a left and right sock with the leaf motif flowing down the outside of the foot. I think I'll call these Autumn Leaves socks. Oh yes.

M