Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Weekend of FO's

Hey there! I hope all you Americans had a nice long weekend. I did... aside from the hormonal explosion at least.

But I got lots of knitting stuff accomplished. Behold, my first entry to the 200Sox knitalong (which I joined, by the way).

Pattern: My own, using the vine lace charts from the sock in Socks Socks Socks. I'll be putting together a pattern for it and posting it for free soon, but I've got a bunch of things to finish first.
Yarn: KnitPicks Essential (75% Superwash Wool/25% Nylon) in Grass.
Needles: US Size 1 bamboo dpns.
Gauge: 9 spi and 11.5 rpi in St st.
Verdict: Fabulous! Although the vine lace is a little tricky and hard to read, they turned out beautifully. I didn't think I would like knitting with the color at first, but then I fell in love with it. Now I want some for myself ;)

I also finished C's clogs. Here they are pre-felting with my head for scale.

And here they are finished, and fitting him perfectly.

Pattern: Fiber Trends felted clog pattern.
Yarn: Plymouth Galway Highland Heather 100% Wool in color 710 for soles and cuff and 704 for body of foot.
Needles: US Size 13 24" bamboo circular for knitting and Size 11 24" bamboo circ for picking up stitches.
Gauge: Uh... not sure... it got felted so it didn't really matter.
Verdict: It was so much fun knitting these huge monstrous shoes! I've never felted anything to size like that before, so that was fun too. I kept pulling them out dripping wet to hold against C's foot to make sure they'd fit. I recommend felting them to be a little smaller than fitting, so they will stretch to fit instead of getting floppy. I'll be sewing some leather soles to the bottom so they don't slip.

I also made Portugese sweetbread with my sister this weekend. We had planned to do it Thanksgiving weekend, but didn't have time, and then planned to do it around Christmas or New Years, but then there was the funeral and the sickness. But we finally did it. We also took the time to cut down the recipe to make one loaf at a time (the bread takes about 12 hours to make, so we like to do alot at once most of the time).

In strange news, I am the 3rd hit on google for "Crafty Bitches". And #4 for "inserting things objects uterus fun pictures". Strange indeed.

Um... I think that's it for today. I'll have my ABCalong post tomorrow. And in case you missed it, I posted a couple more books for sale. Either scroll down, or links are in the sidbar.

M