Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tthhhhhwwwwppppt!

Well hello there! I almost forgot about blogging today. I don't have a whole lot of interest to tell you about. Autumn Leaves socks are progressing, and I finished a quickie scarf for the Red Scarf Project. I've just got to block the one that I had made before and then I can drop them both off at Einstein Brothers.

Since I basically have nothing of interest, I'll share my "To Read" list with you. I've been carrying it around in my head and then I just decided to write it down today in my journally book, so that's what you get. They're not in the order I want to read them, just the order I thought to write them down in.

1- "Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the bible and why" This is one of my very favorite subjects at the moment.

2- "Blink: the power of thinking without thinking" This book has been read by a lot of people, but it still sounds interesting to me.

3- "Reading Lolita In Tehran" I've heard it's very good... plus it sounds subversive ;)

4- "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" I love history and the way certain events and people change it, so this one sounds really exciting.

5- "Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks matter" Again with the love of history and world changing stuff. I love this whole 'Hinges of History' series. I've read all the others so far.

6- "Guns, Germs, and Steel: the fates of human societies" History, War, Science.... what better combination could you ask for in a book?!


And the books I'm reading right now are:
1- "Mary Thomas' Book of Knitting Patterns" The most detailed and comprehensive book on why knitted stitches & stitch patterns do what they do that I've EVER seen. It's amazing. I think my comprehension of knitting has doubled reading this book. Also interesting historical tidbits that I love.

2- "The History of Hand Knitting" An older version than the one that's linked, but so so interesting! Because of these 2 books I'm working on a new project. I'm very excited about that too. :)


M