Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

Autumn Leaves in Winter and a Poll




Autumn Leaf Socks are Finished!
Pattern: Leaf Socks by Cindy Walker in Socks Socks Socks.
Modifications: Quite a few, first I omitted the bobbles. I HATE bobbles. Second, I left off the border around the top. It was supposed to be knit separately and sewn on. Like I really want to sew something onto the top of my socks after I've finished knitting them! And also, with the variegated yarn, it would have made blocks of color perpendicular to the lines in the actual sock... that sounded WAAAY too busy, so I left it off. I also made the leg longer than the pattern calls for.. but that was actually a mistake. :)
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the color "Gold Hill", traded with Norma for a book.
Needles: Crystal Palace Bamboo Dpns in US Size 1.5 (2.5 mm). I broke one by leaving it stuffed in my bag, but I managed to super glue and sand paper it back into use... good thing too. I originally bought 2 sets of 5, but I seem to have lost or broken 3 of them, leaving me with just enough to have 3 on each sock and one working needle to switch between them. Sadly, now that I'm done with the sock I can't seem to find needle #7. Dammit... I guess I'll get another set of 5.
Gauge: 8 spi
Verdict: Good! Snug and soft, but still very bright for my tastes. They're growing on me though.



I've added pics of the patterns available in my sidebar... tell me if you think it's clear, whether you like it, etc... Also, those pdf patterns that were missing are back up. I think the Baby Sock pattern is wonky, but a pdf of that is forthcoming. I just have to find the time to do it while still at work (the only place with the right software), then I can upload it at home. Anyway, let me know if you like the images up there. I think they're eye-catching.

I was having an e-mail conversation with Michelle the other day and she mentioned that she'd rather buy a .pdf online than wait for a paper one to come in the mail. That got me wondering how you all felt about it. It's come up as a question in the KnitDesign yahoo group, but people seem pretty mixed on it.







All things being equal, would you rather buy a pattern:
Online as a paper pattern that will be mailed to you
Online as an instantly dowloadable .pdf file
At a LYS (get a paper pattern and instant gratification)


  

Free polls from Pollhost.com