Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Thursday, February 02, 2006

C is for.....


Calla Lillies. Calla Lillies are my favorite flower. I love their clean lines and the slow fade from green stem to white petal.

I got these silk Callas many years ago. I had been going through a very hard 3 or 4 years and I was very depressed. I finally went to see a therapist and we began working on my issues (of which there were many). I was so far down that I couldn't accept that there was anything beautiful or worthwhile in the world to be striving for. No reason to pick myself up from depression, no good in myself or the rest of the world to applaud.

My therapist asked me if there was anything that I thought was beautiful. After a lot of thought I said Calla Lillies. She told me to buy some Calla Lillies and put them in a place where I would see them every morning when I woke up. I put them on the chest at the foot of my bed. Every morning I woke up and saw those flowers. I could make out their shapes in the dark before I even turned on the light. And then I'd spend the whole rest of the day thinking about them, wanting to get through my day and home again to look at them and be effected by their beauty.

They were the key. Without these flowers as a reminder that there were beautiful things in this world worth saving, I probably would have killed myself 5 years ago. These are more than flowers to me... they are my salvation.

M