Eleanora Socks Pattern Available
These socks are inspired by the socks found in the tomb of Eleanoro de Toledo, the wife of Cosimo I de’Medici, the Grand Duke of Tuscany. She was buried in 1562 after dying of the plague and her crimson silk socks are amazingly well preserved. (Images of the original socks can be seen here and here)
They were knee-high with turned down cuffs. The lozenge patterned cuffs on this adaptation are NOT turned down and the motifs have been reduced in number of stitches due to gauge differences.
Yarn Requirements: 100 gram ball of sock yarn. I used Opal (75% Superwash wool/25% polyamide) (425 meters) in color 1997-13. Please note, this is the German Opal sock yarn, as seen here, not Louet Gems Opal (which is a fine sport weight and too heavy)
Suggested Needles: US Size 1 (2.25mm) and US Size 0 (2.00mm) double points (sets of 5) or size needed to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 17 sts and 25 rows per 2 square inches in stockinette on US 1's and 19 sts per 2" on US 0's.
Finished Size: 6.5" from cuff to top of heel flap. 12" around upper cuff. 9" around foot. 9" from heel to toe.
Techniques Used: This pattern uses the following techniques:
knit, purl, k2tog, k tbl, yo, placement and slipping of markers, slipped stitches, twisted stitches, p2tog, ssk, psso, and sl2-k1-p2sso (centered double decrease).
- The motifs in this pattern are charted. Charts are in black and white.
- Included are some links and interesting notes on the history of Eleanora and her stockings.
- This pattern is 6 pages long, and will print on standard 8.5" x 11" paper.
- This pattern is a downloadable .pdf file. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it. You can download Acrobat here for free.
- This pattern may only be purchased through PayPal. If you do not have a paypal account, you can open one by clicking that link.
- Once your paypal payment has gone through, you will be e-mailed a link to download the pdf file. BE AWARE THAT THIS LINK EXPIRES after a time. You CAN request additional downloads if you miss this window of time. Also be aware that if you pay with an e-check, you will not receive the download link until your payment has cleared, which may take up to 7 days.
- With this pattern (and with all of my patterns I offer full technical support. I will do anything at all possible to help you figure out the best way to download and use this pattern and knit these socks.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to e-mail me.
The cost for this patten is $6.00 USD. You may purchase it by clicking the Buy Now Button below.