Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Finally some pictures!

Check out Lori's finished Adamas! It looks so great!
_____________________________________________



Pattern: My own basic stockinette sock with tapered cuff and wedge toe.
Yarn: Regia Cotton Surf (41% Superwash wool/34% cotton/25% Polyamide) in color 5420, Brown Stripes. Frankly, I didn't really love this yarn. I got it on clearance from Black Sheep though, and they're pretty comfy. The yarn hurt to knit with after a while because it had very little give and it made pretty hard solid stitches (as cotton is want to do).
Needles: US Size 1 (2.25 mm) Clover Bamboo Dpns.
Gauge: 9 spi
Verdict: I love the socks, although I didn't really enjoy knitting them.Now that I think about it though, I probably should have done a reinforced heel instead of a plain stockinette heel, but I was worried about the hard cotton yarn hurting my heel if I did a reinforced heel. In retrospect I think it would have been fine as the finished fabric got pretty smooth.


After finishing the shawl and getting stalled on the baby sweater (ran out of yarn with only one sleeve to go, but blessedly Tracey is sending me some more), I started the Gentleman's Fancy Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush.


I had originally bought the yarn (Trekking XXL in color 102) and begun the sock for myself, but as the cuff striping appeared, C (who is very picky with his socks) decided that he liked it, so I shortened the cuff by one full repeat and made the foot longer for him.

I finished the first sock this morning, but wasn't sure I'd have enough yarn for the second as the pattern calls for a 4 oz skein of Shaefer Anne, but I weighed the sock and the rest of the skein this morning. Good thing about working in a Chemistry department, there are plenty of scales around, bad thing is that I couldn't find one that measured grams. So now I know that the sock weighs .0900 lbs, while the unused yarn ball is .1186 lbs. Good thing it went to 4 decimal places!

I'm getting the Mountain Peaks pattern done slowly because there is a lot to do at work right now, but hopefully I can get it done before the end of the week. I also have a lot on my mind about my creative future, which I'll probably do a whole post about soon after things are more settled.

M