Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sorry for so long since the last real post!

I'm back. Sorry I've been sort of MIA lately. It's been rather busy at work and with designing, etc... I've been answering a lot of questions, and working out some cool new stuff.

But I DID finish the Trekking socks!


Pattern: Gentleman's Fancy Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush (I love this book!).
Yarn: Trekking XXL in Color 102, purchased from Yarn Today.
Needles: US Size 1 (2.25 mm) Clover bamboo double points. Oh, and I used a longtail cast on on US 2's so the ribbing would be SUPER stretchy.
Gauge: 9 spi.
Modifications: I shortened the cuff by one repeat (20 rows) on each sock so that I didn't run out of yarn since the original pattern called for a 4 oz skein of Shaeffer Anne and I only had a 3.5 oz skein of the Trekking. That was probably good because I don't htink I would have made it. I also shortened the heel a little since it seemed like it was getting rather too long for comfort. I SHOULD have modified the toe. It came out VERY pointy and I don't like it, but C doesn't mind, so I won't rip it out.
Verdict: C loves them, so I'm happy. I loved knitting with the Trekking. It's nice yarn while still being fun. I like the variegations without pooling and flashing. It all just blends into the next color stripe, and it's really very subtle.


I bought some good stuff this weekend. I bought and dyed some 100% extrafine merino laceweight (which you can see here) for the KAL contests. And I got a skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot to make a pair of socks for my mom. She was with me and picked out the colorway. She bought me a niddy noddy (I still need to sand and finish it), so I bought her sock yarn :) I'm excited to work with it.


This morning on the bus I started a pair of socks for myself in the Koigu Margene sent me. I'm using the Child's French Sock in Citron Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks. :) I've only got about an inch done, but I like how it's coming out so far.

In non-knitting news, I'm getting really excited for my vacation to Philadelpia later this month, and Kim is coming to visit early next week. I've missed her alot. Expect pictures :) Also as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now, I'll be starting Harry Potter. This could become a whole new obsession. Like I need another one of THOSE!

*edit* You HAVE to see these kitty pictures from Not An Artist (scroll down)! They totally made my day!