Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Friday, June 30, 2006

L is for....



Lace!

I realize I'm late with this one, but my ABCalong mojo had deserted me... until now.

I think my first lace shawl was probably the Flower Basket shawl. I fell in love instantly! I then moved on to the Wool Peddler shawl from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls and then I was off like a rocket, designing my own, and going somewhat crazy with it all.



I have often had people ask me why I started designing lace. Mostly I think it was because I have this fascination with how positive and negative space interact and give us an overall picture of something. For years I drew a lacey sort of doodle, which I will try to find a picture of for you guys, that was purely positive and negative space. I love that it can give such a fantastic illusion of texture and depth.

I love that simple things like yo's and k2togs can make something so intricate and beautiful when put together as a whole.

I made the conscious decision to focus on lace designing over other things because I knew that it was a niche that was somewhat untapped in the blog/online market, but I truly do love it more than most other kinds of knitting (socks rank really high up there, but lace still tops them). And as Margene would say, lace is truly all about the process. It can be tedious, treacherous and tempermental. But in the end, that's what we love about it.

M