Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Monday, June 05, 2006

Please Lord, have mercy on me.

I am 5 border repeats away from being done with this godforsaken sadistic lovely shawl. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the shawl, I'm so convinced it will be absolutely stunning that I'm going to enter it into the county fair. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the yarn. It's beautiful and soft and amazingly strong for how thin it is. (I'll do a full yarn review when the shawl is done). I love seeing the pattern emerge. But the border sort of got old after "emerging" 36 times. You see... even though I knew that knitting Mountain Peaks on size 1 needles would require that I repeat the upper chart multiple times and therefore increase the number of border repeats that I'd need. I didn't really realize how many more rows that would add. The border just drags ON and ON!

The real problem is that I've told myself I can't start any of the numerous other projects I want to work on (except my trekking sock that's already in progress) until I've finished this shawl. I have stuff I want to design, things I want to throw myself into wholeheartedly. And if I have this monkey shawl on my back on the needles, then I will just beat myself up with guilt over not finishing it. If I sit for my whole lunch break I might be able to finish the 5 repeats. So I'm going to give it a shot.

In retrospect, I look back at my first lace shawl (knit on size 5 needles) and I realize that I felt the same way about that one (HOW CAN THESE ROWS BE SO LONG!!). So I guess that I've grown, even if it's just growing a bit closer to CRAZY.

M

_______________________________


Check out ZenKnit's Razor Shell socks!! And yes, I know the free patterns aren't working. I'm trying to get transferred to a new server, and it's taking longer than anticipated.

And also, go see Kit's finished Mountain Peaks shawl! The colors are great!

AAAAND check out Karen's finished Eleanora socks! They're beautiful!