Mim's Knitting Frenzy

Follow the dark and skeery path into the dank recesses of Miriam's mind. There you will find many a knitting needle and the occasional ominous crochet hook. Sinister looking book presses and towering stacks of paper. Where various handcrafts lurk waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting...

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Payoff


All is well with the world... so far at least. Drew's socks seem to be working out. I cast on 100 sts (I'm getting 9 spi in St. st on US 1's) and I've got 30 rows now, so I'm gonna start decreasing down toward the ankle. And Drew likes the stripeys too.

For those who asked *coughNanctheinquisitiveonecough* the yarn is Lana Grossa Meilenweit Multiringel in Color 5050, purchased from Black Sheep Wool Co. in Salt Lake City, but available multiple places online. It's a little stiffer and squeakier than other superwash wool/nylon blends like Regia, but from playing with the cast on tail, it seems like it will soften after washing and perhaps bloom a bit. I guess we'll see.

And I've been kind of scatterbrained and unorganized lately, so if I've missed responding to your comment or something, don't hate me please, just kick me around a bit and ask your question again... or whatever...

Oh... and here's a knitting tip for today, that I actually learned from Anne.

Tip #1
When working ribbing (like on socks, or bottoms of sweaters, etc...) the first purl stitch of a rib (the one right after the last knit stitch from the previous rib) will sometimes be very loose. You can fix this by purling that first purl-after-switching stitch through the back loop. It's a bit finiky, but it twists the stitch and tightens it up. Just do that every few rows and it will cinch that stitch right up, giving you a still stretchy, but not loose ribbing. Voila!

M